Jean and Bromley Palamountain first teamed up in August of 2004. Jean only wanted to take a free dance lesson when she saw the flier for a dance troupe, The Movement, back in 2001. She never expected swing dancing to take over her life. In mid-2004, Jean began social dancing and met her dance and life partner, Bromley Palamountain. Since then they have been teaching classes all around the Bay Area and the world and have opened up one of the hottest swing dance venues in Oakland, CA called The Dancers’ Den. Jean has won numerous awards at prestigious events including Camp Hollywood, Camp Jitterbug, The U.S. Open and Boogie By the Bay and is also an accomplished hip hop dancer, and a former member of the world renowned group “Culture Shock”. Don’t be fooled by her 5’0 stature or “ballerina” dance move, when it comes to teaching, Jean means serious business… sometimes. Jean strongly believes in pushing a class to the limit and making lessons challenging, yet keeping the element of fun in every one of them. Jean hopes that her students will be able take the concepts from her classes and build them into their dancing to make it their own.
Before taking up swing dancing, Bromley was a gymnast on the UC Berkeley Men’s Gymanstics team. Bromley started swing dancing in 2004 when he was invited to take a free swing dance lesson that was taught by none other than his partner of over 7 years, Jean Ma. Bromley is an award-winning dancer, instructor, choreographer, and performer specializing in vernacular movement through the dance patterns of Lindy Hop, Balboa, and Charleston with placements at Camp Hollywood, Camp Jitterbug, The U.S. Open, among others. He also assisted in the choreography of a routine for the show “So You Think You Can Dance” in 2009. Bromley is the co-owner/co-founder of the premier swing dance venue in Oakland, CA, The Dancers’ Den. When teaching, Bromley strives to make tough concepts easy to understand by boiling them down into simple ideas that will help enhance the look and feel of his students’ dancing.
Together they are known for their explosive aerials, high energy, and passion for the dance. Jean and Bromley love to showcase their talents in competitions, jam circles, and on the social dance floor. Jean and Bromley ardently spread the coolness of Lindy Hop wherever they go, enjoying teaching and the many friends they have met within the dance community.
Jean and Bromley are married!!!
Jean and Bromley tied the knot and became Mr. and Mrs. Palamountain on their 10 year dating anniversary on August 16, 2014!
Aug. 1, 2012: Jean & Bromley Get Engaged!!
Photo by Emily Gutman emilytakesphotos.com
Big news for Jean & Bromley: after 8 years together, Bromley, got down on one knee and proposed to his best friend at The Dancers’ Den on August 1st, 2012. Jean said “YES!”
You can see the video by going to Jean and Bromley’s YouTube Page
- 2nd place Pro-Am Strictly Lindy (Pro: Bromley Am: Suzanne V) ’17
- 1st place Pro-Am Strictly Lindy (Pro: Bromley Am: Samantha Nguyen) ’15
- 2nd place Pro-Am Strictly Lindy (Pro: Jean Am: Juan Cuadra) ’15
- 2nd place Invitational Jack n Jill (Bromley) [Fog City Stomp] ’13
- 3rd place Invitation Jack n Jill (Jean) [Fog City Stomp] ’13
- 1st place Invitational Jack n Jill (*Jean and Kevin St. Laurent) [Swingin’ at the Savoy] ’12
- 1st place Strictly Lindy [Sacramento Jazz Jubilee] ’11
- 3rd place Balboa Strictly [Boogie By The Bay] ’10
- 3rd place Strictly Lindy (*Jean and Rye) [Boogie By The Bay] ’10
- 3rd place Jack n Jill (*Jean and Conrad) [Boogie By The Bay] ’10
- 1st place Strictly Lindy [Sacramento Jazz Jubilee] ’09
- 1st place Jack n Jill (*Bromley and Yon) [Boogie By The Bay] ’09
- 2nd place Balboa Strictly [Boogie By The Bay] ’09
- 3rd place Strictly Lindy (*Jean and Rye) [Boogie By The Bay] ’09
- 2nd place Partnered Charleston [S.F. Balfest] ’08
- 1st place Lindy Showcase division [Boogie By The Bay] ’08
- 3rd place Balboa Strictly [Boogie By The Bay] ’08
- 3rd place Lindy Hop Couples [Camp Jitterbug] ’08
- 1st place Open Strictly Lindy [Reno Dance Sensation] ’08
- 2nd place Pro Jack ‘n’ Jill [Reno Dance Sensation] ’08 (*Drawing Each Other)
- 1st place Pro Lindy division [Swing in the Colony] ’07
- 1st place Lindy Showcase division [Boogie by the Bay] ’07
- 1st place Showcase division [Lindy on the Rocks] ’07
- 2nd place Strictly Lindy division [Lind on the Rocks] ’07
- 2nd place Am. Lindy [Camp Hollywood] ’07
- 1st place Reno Dance Sensation Strictly Lindy division ’07
- 3rd place Rhythmic Arts Festival Lindy division ’06-’07
- 1st place S.F. Balfest Strictly Lindy contest ’06
- 2nd place U.S Open Lindy Showcase division ’06
- 2nd place Boogie by the Bay Lindy Showcase division ’06
- 3rd place Sac Swing Jam Lindy division ’06
Workshop Weekend Resume
Le Hot Sauce 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 – San Francisco, CA
Sacramento Workshop 2011 – Sacramento, CA
Beringer Winery 2010 – St Helena, CA
Fort Bragg Workshop 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 – Fort Bragg, CA
Camp Swing October, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016- Mendocino, CA
Swing Patrol Paddington Class November, 2008- Sydney, Australia
Az Swing Cats Fall Workshop October 18-19, 2008 – Tuscon, Az.
Boogie by the Bay October, 2008, 2009, 2010 – Burlingame, CA.
SF BalFest December 2009 – San Francisco, CA
Reno Dance Sensation April 3-6, 2008 – Reno, Nevada
24hr Cancer Dance-A-thon. March, 2008, 2010 – Orange County, CA
Frankie Manning Weekend Feb, 2007, 2008, 2009 – Oakland, CA
Swing in the Colony Oct 19-21, 2007 – Atascadero, CA
Savoy Nights Aug 24-26, 2007 – Sacramento, CA
54 Weeks Workshop Las Vegas, Nevada
Special Performances and Other Credits
Google Holiday Party
BioScience’s Commercial for Western Blot
Oakland’s Art & Soul Festival
Alameda County Health Care Benefit
Vancouver Symphony (*Bromley and Carla)
Make a Wish Foundation